ACTIVE: 30 MIN
TOTAL: 2 HR 30 MIN
– 1 package (9 oz.) chocolate wafer cookies, such as Nabisco Famous
– 6 tbsp. butter, melted
– 18 large vegan marshmallows, such as Dandies
– 3/4 cup whole milk
– 1/2 tsp. pure peppermint extract
– 1 cup heavy whipping cream
– Fresh mint leaves, for topping (optional)
1. In a food processor, pulse the cookies until they are fine crumbs. Reserve 2 tbsp. of the cookie crumbs for topping.
2. In a medium bowl, stir the remaining cookie crumbs with the butter until the mixture is the consistency of wet sand. Transfer to a 9-inch springform pan. Using the bottom of a flat measuring cup, press the crust firmly and evenly into the bottom of the pan. Refrigerate the crust while you make the filling.
3. In a medium saucepan, heat the marshmallows and milk over low, stirring often, until the marshmallows melt and the mixture is smooth, 10 to 12 minutes. Remove from heat, then stir in the peppermint extract. Transfer the marshmallow mixture to a medium bowl and let cool completely, whisking every minute or two to prevent the mixture from setting and getting lumpy.
4. In a medium bowl, using an electric mixer, beat the cream on medium-high speed until stiff peaks form, about 1 minute. Fold half of the whipped cream into the marshmallow mixture, folding until smooth. Repeat with the remaining whipped cream. Spoon into the crust, then smooth the top to make it even.
5. Refrigerate until set, at least 2 hours and up to 12 hours. Before serving, sprinkle with the reserved 2 tbsp. cookie crumbs. Top each slice with a mint leaf, if using.
Recipe by Joanna Scott | Photograph by Chelsea Kyle