ACTIVE: 25 MIN
TOTAL: 1 HR, 20 MIN
– 3 lb. fresh or frozen blueberries
– 3/4 cup plus 1/3 cup sugar, plus 3 tbsp. more
– 1/4 cup cornstarch
– 2 tsp. lemon zest plus 3 tbsp. juice (from 1 lemon)
– 1 1/3 cups flour, plus more for dusting
– 2 tsp. baking powder
– 3/4 tsp. kosher salt
– 2 cups heavy cream
– 1/2 tsp. ground cinnamon
1. Preheat the oven to 400°. In a 12-inch cast-iron skillet or 3-quart baking dish, mix the berries, 3/4 cup sugar, the cornstarch, and lemon juice. In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, salt, and 1/3 cup sugar. In a small bowl, stir 1 cup cream and the lemon zest. Using a fork, stir the lemon cream into the dry ingredients just until moist clumps form. Transfer to a lightly floured work surface. Knead the dough 5 to 6 times. Pat the dough into a 4 1/2-by-7-inch rectangle that’s 3/4 inch thick. Cut the dough into 8 rectangles; arrange on top of the berries.
2. Brush the biscuits with 1 tbsp.cream. Sprinkle 2 tbsp. sugar over the biscuits and berries. Bake until the juices bubble at the edges of the pan and the biscuits are browned and cooked through, 45 minutes to 1 hour. Let rest for at least 15 minutes before serving.
3. While the cobbler bakes, in a medium bowl, beat the remaining cream, the remaining 1 tbsp. sugar, and the cinnamon until soft peaks form, about 2 minutes. Serve with the cobbler.
Recipe by Janet Taylor McCracken
This recipe originally appeared in the Summer 2020 issue of Reveal, Drew & Jonathan’s lifestyle magazine.