ACTIVE: 10 MIN
TOTAL: 20 MIN
– 4 cups French bread cubes (just tear the bread roughly with your hands)
– 1/2 cup plus 1 tbsp. olive oil
– 2 large egg yolks (if you’re concerned about eating raw eggs, use pasteurized eggs)
– 1 large clove garlic
– 2 tsp. Dijon mustard
– 5 tsp. fresh lemon juice (from 1 lemon)
– 2 tsp. soy sauce
– 1 1/2 oz. vegetarian Parmesan cheese, finely shredded (about 3/4 cup)
– 3 romaine hearts, leaves separated and torn into large pieces
– 5 vegan bacon slices, cooked and finely chopped
1. Preheat the oven to 375°. On a large rimmed baking sheet, toss the bread cubes with 1 tbsp. oil; season with salt and pepper. Bake, tossing halfway through baking, until golden, 10 to 15 minutes. Let the croutons cool while you make the dressing.
2. Meanwhile, in a food processor, blend the egg yolks, garlic, Dijon, lemon juice, soy sauce, and 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese until smooth, about 20 seconds; season with pepper. With the food processor running, slowly drizzle in the remaining 1/2 cup olive oil, processing until the oil is incorporated.
3. In a large bowl, toss the romaine, croutons, dressing, vegan bacon, and remaining Parmesan.
Recipe by Joanna Scott, adaptation by Jonathan Scott | Photograph by Chelsea Kyle